Along with the Kettlebell Swing the TGU delivers huge results. The TGU is very different from the Swing in that it works on your small stabilizing muscles as opposed to your big prime mover muscles. You will not gain muscle or burn much fat with the TGU but what you will do is “Bomb Proof” your body for all future exercises.
If you cannot perform a TGU with a kettlebell then you are not ready to go overhead with that kettlebell. Use the TGU as a guide to what weight to lift. Try pressing a heavier bell than you can perform a TGU with and you risk injury because your stabilising muscles are weaker than your large prime mover muscles.
7 Steps of Turkish Get Up
- From the Fetal position roll onto your back and help the bell into the straight arm position. Don’t take your eyes off the bell.
- Bend the leg on the same side as the bell and place the opposite arm out at 45 degrees
- Crush the handle as you sit up along the line of your arm, first to elbow and then to hand. Keep the kettlebell arm down and in it socket and the opposite shoulder away from the ear
- Push from the heel of the bent leg and drive your hips in the air and into full hip extension. There should be a straight line from bell to bottom hand.
- Sweep the straight leg back and through to a half kneeling position.
- Taking the hand off the floor straighten the body and take the eyes off the bell and look forwards.
- Drive from the front heel and stand. Steady yourself and then reverse the movement.